Monday 23 April 2012

Claustrophobia

After visiting Cabot Tower I began to research Claustrophobia and what it actually is. Here are a few bullet points I found interesting.


  • From the Latin word 'claustrum' meaning a shut in place and the Greek word 'phobus' meaning fear.
  • Opposite of Claustrophobia is Claustrophilia - an abnormal desire for confinement in an enclosed space.
  • Some Claustrophobics fear trivial matters such as sitting in a barbers chair, simply out of fear of confinement to a single space.
  • Some Claustrophobics remove clothing when having an attack as they believe it will relieve symptoms. 
  • Most Claustrophobics avoid any situation that might cause and attack. 
  • There are many theories for Claustrophobia one them being Amygdala. This is one of the smallest structures in the brain but one of the most powerful it is needed for the conditioning of fear.


From these points I find myself interested in the belief that removing clothing will relieve symptoms. This could be an interesting concept. I also find myself interested in researching the Amygdala, and how it works. 





No comments:

Post a Comment